Just about the only downside of having hardwood floors is the fact that it takes a little bit of work to keep them looking their best. But having hardwood flooring is well worth the tiny bit of work it takes to protect them! As a hardwood flooring contractor in Milwaukee, WI, we’ve repaired all sorts of hardwood flooring problems, and we’ve learned some great techniques that can prevent these problems from happening in the first place. Continue reading to learn more about protecting your floors and avoiding the need to call us for repairs:
- Clean them: Dirt is a killer for every flooring material. It goes without saying that dirt and grime is bad for carpet, but it can be just as awful for hardwood. Small particles get ground into the wood and cause scratches that damage the finish and eventually and harm the wood. Sweep and mop on a regular basis to ensure no dirt causes damage. It may sound strange, but vacuuming is another essential part of cleaning hardwood floors. Just like sweeping, it only takes a few minutes, and it helps ensure that nasty dust and dirt don’t damage the finish.
- Prevent dirt: You can avoid the need to wash your hardwood floors by making sure that dirt doesn’t get onto the floors in the first place. Lay down floor mats to stop dirt from tracking through the house on people’s shoes.
- Buy rugs: Purchasing some large rugs is an easy and attractive way to ensure your floors won’t be damaged. After all, the smaller the exposed space, the smaller the area that can be scratched and dinged. Plus, a nice rug can really tie a room together.
- Don’t wear shoes: Speaking of shoes, keep them off the floor! Rocks and other debris stuck on shoes are hardwood killers. It’s especially important to not wear high-heeled shoes on hardwood floors. Pointy heels can cause small dents that end up being big problems. Ask guests to remove their shoes at the door and reduce the possibility of messing up your nice floors.
- Trim your pets’ nails: All of your pets should have their nails trimmed on a regular basis to help ensure they’re healthy and happy. But pet owners with hardwood floors should trim their pets’ nails to lower the chance that their floors will be scratched. It only takes a few minutes to do, and can be the difference between nice-looking and bad-looking flooring.
- Renew the finish: One of the top reasons to call a hardwood flooring contractor in Milwaukee, WI is to have your finish renewed every few years. A new layer of finish will make your floors pop once again, and will also serve as an added layer of protection.
If none of the above practices have helped protect your floors, give SNR First Rate Floors a call! Our friendly professionals are ready and willing to repair your floors to get them looking as good as new. Get in touch today to schedule a consultation.
Categorised in: Hardwood Flooring Contractor
This post was written by Writer